New to canicross and a novice runner? Or an existing member wanting to take your fitness and speed up a notch? Then this is the program for you!
Our 6 week canicross beginner program will help you and your dog to get fitter, stronger and faster together, working as a team to build up to your fastest 5k yet!
The sessions will comprise both training for you, and canicross training for your dog. You will learn how to command your dog, to focus them and to work with them to strengthen your bond. The classes will last 1 hr 15 mins and will be made up of a combination of running and hiking (depending on the venue), team drills and challenges, and human strength and fitness work without your dog towards the end of the session. All sessions are outdoors and we like to get creative, so you will be working up a sweat and getting fitter while having some fun at the same time!
There are 6 sessions, with the last session in week 6 being a parkrun, and of course a cuppa afterwards! All sessions will start at 10am, with the exception of week 6. Please arrive in good time as there will be a briefing at 9.55am before each session.
Week 1: 6th April- Sir Thomas and Lady Dixon Park
Week 2: 13th April- Barnetts Demense
Week 3: 20th April- Cavehill Country Park
Week 4: 27th April- Carnmoney Hill Nature reserve
Week 5: 4th May- Sir Thomas and Lady Dixon Park
Week 6: 11th May- Belfast Parkrun (Location TBC)
Please aim to arrive 15-20 mins early if you wish to borrow kit. Please also arrive early enough to allow your dog to go to the toilet. All dog fouling MUST be bagged and binned.
Kit will also be available to buy if you catch the canicross bug!
*NB* Dogs must be a minimum of 11 months old
What to bring:
- Clothes you can exercise in and your own kit if you have it. Trail shoes with good grip are highly recommended
- Water and a biscuit for your dog for after class.
- A mat or old towel to lie on for human exercises at the end of class.
- An old towel to wipe down borrowed kit
Park locations and meeting points:
- Sir Thomas and Lady Dixon– Drumbeg Road. BT17 9LA. Meet in the carpark beside the Stables Coffee Shop
- Barnett Demense– Shaws Bridge Carpark. BT9 5YN.
- Cavehill Country Park– Belfast Zoo Carpark. Antrim Road, Newtownabbey. BT36 7PN.
- Carnmoney Hill Nature Reserve– Meet beside Rathfern Social Activity Center. (On street parking so please be aware on oncoming traffic). Knockenagh Avenue, Newtownabbey. BT36 6BE